Two miles west of Mount Olympus is another one of Adolph Sutro’s dwindling monuments. In 1879, Sutro planted thousands of blue gum eucalyptus, Monterey pine, and Monterey cypress trees on what is known today as Mount Sutro. After his death his heirs started logging the land till the 1960s. Today there are efforts to thin and remove the trees in an attempt to reduce perceived fire risk and reintroduce native plants to the hill.
Trees slated for removal are marked with large spray painted dots or lines on their trunks. The oldest trees in the grove are nearly 100-years-old. Suspended as the world moves around them, for now they go on resting in a state of limbo unaware of the fate placed upon them.